Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Vindictive Delete

To me there are few things more satisfying to my soul than the vindictive delete.

What, you might ask, is a vindictive delete?  Well, let me explain.  It is that glorious, empowering moment when a person deletes permanently from their phone the contact information of a person who has in some way wronged them.  Sometimes a man.  Sometimes a person you thought was a friend.  But always, always, satisfying.

It's petty I know.  And small of me.  But as a person who finds it hard to flat out confront people or tell them what I think about them and their actions, the vindictive delete gives me great comfort.  It's my small way of saying-you don't matter (although obviously in some small way they do or their deletion wouldn't bring me such joy).  You've wronged me, or you were wrong for me and you are no longer available to me.  Not cellular-ly speaking at least. 

Yes I am fully aware of the ridiculousness of this.  Obviously the person you delete cannot FEEL you deleting them.  Obviously it would probably be better to confront people, to say what you are really thinking and let the chips fall where they may.  I really need to work on that myself.  But we all know that doesn't always happen.  We all know that even if it did, sometimes it doesn't make any difference.  Some people are never going to GET it.  Therefore-the vindictive delete. 

So I recommend it.  Go through your phone and give it a whirl.  It will, inexplicably, make you feel better.  Trust me.

**Warning-It is my strong recommendation not to ever vindictively delete in the heat of the moment.  Let it settle for awhile or you will be faced with an uncomfortable text-versation with a deleted soul where you try tactfully to figure out who they are, without letting them know why it is you don't know (in such an emergency I generally go with the whole "new phone, lost my contacts spiel").  Godspeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment