Monday, February 13, 2012

The Dreaded V-Day

Valentine's Day-the day dreaded by singletons like myself the world over.  It is pretty much a day of torture if you are not in a relationship.  Not that much of a reminder is needed for me to recall I am single but seeing attached friends receive flowers, watching the myriad of mushy movies playing and seeing the general lovey dovey feel that encompasses everyone is really above and beyond the call.

Now one might assume from the tone that this post has started with that I am a anti-sentimental, anti-romantic person consumed by bitterness.  Not the case.  In fact I am probably one of the more sappy people you will meet.  Jane Austen movies move me to tears and bouts of wistful sighing.  Songs can have the same effect.  The other day I nearly broke down in my classroom at the tender closing scene of a Winnie the Pooh movie (oh, come on- Christopher Robin and Pooh just love each other so much!  Their's is a friendship that transcends time!!) Hardened and hard I am not.

Well, maybe slightly hardened.  A single girl practically has to be in this day and age.  If I walked around proclaiming that I was waiting for a white knight to sweep me off my feet, that I dream of a man like Emma's Mr. Knightly or Allie's Noah in "The Notebook" people would think I was off my rocker.  But deep down, whether they would like to admit it or not, I think every woman secretly wants that.  It's hard to admit it.  To reconcile the strong independent women we are supposed to be and that our predecessors fought for us to become, with the sappy ball of mush that most of us turn into when Mr. Darcy finally, finally, wins Elizabeth Bennett over.  It's a troublesome paradox.  And I will expound on it further when I finish reading "Captivating" a new book I have that has gotten some of these trains of though chugging through my mind.
(PS-I'm only as far as chapter 1 and I am totally sucked in.  Anyone read it?  Opinions/thoughts?)

The thing is-yes, I do want that kind of love.   That, "good lord, they're so happy they make me sick" kind of love.  And no, I'm not delusional.  I realize that we don't see what happens after Elizabeth says yes to Mr. Darcy.  I realize that love is not a fairy tale, that there are struggles and fights and hard times and even harder ones.  But the best love story of all, to me, is being able to stay together, to work together through all that garbage and to, at the end of the day, still be in love with each other. To be a true team. 

So to wrap up this random rambling post (the title of this blog was no accident) Happy Valentines Day!  To those of you who are blessed enough to be in a happy, healthy relationship take just a moment to appreciate it and your significant other.  To those who are currently not attached like myself keep waiting and praying for it.  Good things are worth waiting for.  I would much rather spend a little more time waiting for the right man, than wasting my time and emotions on a lot of wrong ones.  And most importantly don't give up on love-keep your inner sap alive and well!

Happy Valentine's Day!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment